Goodbye, Georgia!

We're in Texas! It took a long time to finally get somewhat settled in at our new home, but we made it through our first Army move together.

Let's find out the story behind the picture below, shall we?
The hubs and I had plans on moving on May 27th, but due to some incompetence or perhaps plain laziness, we were forced to stay until June 1st. No one found it necessary to tell The Hubby that he had to bring in our marriage certificate in order for them to make amendments to his new orders saying that he had a dependent. And of course he needed these orders so that he could finish out-processing.

What a better time to find all this out than after you already had the power shut off and your wife is at home packing while listening to the "Princess Diaries" book on CD using her laptop because there was no television or internet to entertain her with?

It was all quite absurd. I don't understand the inefficiency of the Army most of the time. They actually already had our marriage license in their records from when we had to apply for more BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing).

And if all that mumbo-jumbo doesn't make sense to you, basically this is what happened: The Army effed up. We had no power. Most of our things were already packed. It was going to be a holiday weekend so The Hubby had to wait until next Tuesday to figure things out. Barnes & Noble's free wifi became our new best friend. And so did the movie theater because there was AC. We brushed our teeth to the light of a lantern and a head lamp. The end.

Then the time had finally come to pack our belongings into our poor little Ford Focus. Not everything made the cut. I left behind so many things that we had to repurchase here in Texas (cleaning supplies, toilet paper, baking pans, etc.). I was not a happy camper because I hate waste.
And this is how I sat for most of the two-day trip, although the cooler ended up on the ground and the purse was eventually thrown into the back. The floor had just enough room for my two feet.
This was all that we saw for miles and miles and miles...
Except sometimes we saw a few gems like this one in Louisiana. Yup, that's a Titanic inflatable slide.
At one point, the GPS said that we would arrive at our destination in twenty five minutes, but we realized that we hadn't accounted for the time change. Pouty faces and cursing followed when we discovered that we actually had one hour and twenty five minutes left to drive.
But armed with bottles of water and a large bag of junk food, we eventually made it to Texas.

I also finally figured out how to put videos on my blog so expect more to come. Here is one of the crazy rain in Georgia. We could barely see a thing and it was pretty terrifying.

Driving in the rain from Min Schmidt on Vimeo.


Rebecca said…
holy crap that rain is freaky
I totally have a video of when we were driving through Tennessee, just like YOURS!! Rain down there is crazy!!