Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Let's Make: Brownies for Dinner!

I made a dozen chocolate chip cookies on Sunday afternoon, thinking that The Hubby would be home soon and that it would be a nice surprise for him. He then called saying that he would be back Tuesday around 0400. I ended up eating all of the cookies on Monday.

I then baked more cookies to make up for the fact that I ate all of his. But then he called saying that he would be back Wednesday around 1000 instead. And of course I ate those cookies, too.

To supplement the missing cookies, I decided to make brownies from scratch for the first time. I came across Martha's recipe for Double-Chocolate Brownies and changed it up a bit. My brownies will never look like Martha's brownies (pictured to the left), but at least they taste good!

Ingredients: 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3 eggs (3/4 cup egg beater), 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup plus 2 tbs all-purpose sifted flour

Ingredients I added (because triple-chocolate is better than double-chocolate): 1 cup (or more!) milk chocolate chips and 1 cup toffee bits

I have been adding toffee bits to everything, including brownie cookies.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350. Line pan with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Step 2: Melt semisweet chocolate and butter. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
Step 3: Whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs. Whisk in cocoa powder and salt.
Step 4: Fold in flour.
Step 5: Stir in milk chocolate and toffee bits.
Step 6: Pour into pan. Pound pan on counter to release air bubbles. Bake 35-40 minutes if using an 8 x 8 pan. Bake 30-35 minutes if using a 13 x 9 x 2 pan or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Step 7: The most important step! Take fork and eat brownie directly from pan.
Ooey gooey yummyness...
I think that brownies made from mix out of a box are just as good, if not better, and are so much easier to make. They're also cheaper, but I like the idea of knowing exactly what is in my chocolaty goodness.

EDIT: These brownies are freakin amazing.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

i just finished running, and now i'm eating ice cream because i read this post