Thursday, August 26, 2010

Living Single

The Hubby has been away since Monday morning. Only three more days to go! I have been more active and productive than usual so the days are moving quickly.

I feel like a bachelor. Bachelorettes are probably much cleaner. And healthier.

I have not cooked for myself and have been surviving on peanut butter sandwiches, almonds, juice, rice, and peaches. Oh, and ice cream. Vanilla ice cream will always be in my diet. There is no cure for this addiction.

The bed is always unmade. I have the blanket in the perfect position to snuggle up next to and our four pillows are arranged so that they frame my head just so. Bella has taken over the hubby's side of the bed too. I haven't Swiffered either so we have a nice collection of dog fur on our floors.

At least I felt guilty enough to wash the sink full of dishes and do three loads of laundry. So how have I been spending my time if I haven't been cleaning or cooking? I, my friends, have been social!

Typically, when The Hubby is gone the only human interaction I have is with cashiers or any neighbors I may pass by on the way to the mailbox. That time I was left without a car for three days I didn't even see another human being. Things changed this week though. I have had outings with three separate Army wives on three separate days this week. Tomorrow, I have an officer wives' coffee to attend.

I have a hard time making new friends. I'm a perfectly nice person with people and I would like to think that I am a good conversationalist, but it is difficult for me to go out of my way and try to turn an acquaintance into something more.

Right now, all I want to do is spend every moment possible with my husband before he leaves for a year to go fight a war. Making friends is not a top priority at the moment, although I know that having a strong support system would be nothing but beneficial later on.

Back at home, I only hung out with about three people semi-regularly and two more when they had a break from college. And that was the way I liked it. My definition of a friend basically boils down to something really simple: I wouldn't mind spending a day at Disneyland with them alone.

I know this sounds really strange, but it really makes a lot of sense when you think about it. When you go to the Happiest Place on Earth, the vibe can completely be ruined if you go with the wrong person. Sharing a seat on Matterhorn is tight and you will indubitably bump into your ride partner in a way that will break personal boundaries. You will then spend hours with them waiting in line for the next ride. Don't you want it to be somebody whose company you enjoy?

I have not found anyone like that here. I have met plenty of great women, but no "Annual Passholders". The closest person to that is moving next month when her husband deploys.

It is really difficult to want to go out with other people when I would rather spend time with The Hubby. But hopefully this whole thing will become easier when he deploys.

So here's to me becoming a social butterfly, or at least attempting to sometime in the near future.

Bella is limited to maybe only ten words or phrases in the English dictionary and a girl needs more than that.

3 comments:

Spencer said...

you can do it! channel your inner middle schooler hahaha no im jk

Tiffany said...

It's like Lily (from HIMYM) and her "Front Porch" test! I hope you know the reference. And I'm an annual passholder right??? I'm too skinny to get all up in your personal space! :) + <3.

Rebecca said...

TOTALLY agree with the disneyland test.

go get emmmmmm