Saturday, June 4, 2011

Training Wheels

I don't know how to ride a bike. I was given a Barbie bike with a matching pink Barbie helmet when I was younger. I insisted on getting a matching pink horn, too. And I guess I also insisted on wearing denim dresses while riding bikes.

I never got beyond training wheels.

One afternoon, I sped around our neighborhood a little too quickly and fell off. I scraped my elbow, but I repaired the damage myself with one of the bandaids I had stored in my little pouch for situations just like that.

And I never got back on until twelve years later as a college freshman.

I was visiting a friend at UCSB. She had plans for us to attend something that was located too far to walk, but just right for a leisurely bike ride. I had an hour to learn something I should have learned more than a decade ago. All I have to say is that I was thankful for my long legs that allowed me to brace myself for crashing into the parked BMW's along the street.

That was the last time I ever attempted to ride a bike. I still don't know how.

This video makes me want to learn again (via donsonlog): 


Rock and roll!

2 comments:

Spencer said...

HAHAHA "thumbs up everybody, and rock and roll!"

btw this post just reminded me of what your name used to be hahaha

Debbie said...

I still don't know how to ride a bike :(