Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Awarding

That's right, Bella. Daddy's not the only one who gets awards around here. I received the Volunteer of the Month Award for our Battalion for the month of May. I don't remember if I did anything special in May, but I'll take it! 


I had no idea that this award would be given at a rather large ceremony with a photographer and that I would be shaking hands with the Division Rear Commander. A Soldier read a little description about each volunteer while they were given their awards. I didn't really hear what he said about me because I was so concerned about giving a firm handshake that I couldn't concentrate. I did catch at the end that I have "balanced energy."Not at all sure what that means.

Back in April I received a different volunteer award and it was much more casual. Instead of just one volunteer per Battalion honored at a time, there were dozens. I'm used to being one of the tallest people in the room back at home where Asians ruled the land. Not here though!




I guess I decided to tell you about this because I feel like a lot of people ask me what I do since I don't have a job or have any kids. I volunteer and do Army related things (with a lot of social time and lounging mixed in)! I also pick up some writing jobs from my sister and do a separate blogging job.

I get the impression when my parents question me about my days that they think I'm wasting my life. I hope to start substitute teaching this coming school year. I have been waiting for them to start hiring since February and they barely opened up their job posting yesterday. I know I probably could have found a job elsewhere, but nothing else would have offered the same amount of flexibility I required.

Is it bad to start shopping for a job that you haven't yet been hired for?

No comments: