Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On Gains and Losses

I saw the most amazing video today, courtesy of my sister's blog. After our beloved dog, Lucky, was put down, my mother announced to us that there was no way we would get another dog again. She saw our devastation, and concluded that going through the pain of losing a dog was not worth it.

I disagree completely. I cannot begin to tell you the joy Bella gives me every single day I see her, even on the days when she decides to urinate indoors or get into the trash.

She won't be with us forever, but until the day she decides to leave us, we will show her the love that she deserves. It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Don't watch this video if you are not prepared to sob uncontrollably. It's a beautiful story, and it is a great reminder of how much a dog can positively impact your life.



"He showed me through his example how to love, and I loved him. I don't think I showed him how to love. I think he showed me how to love."

2 comments:

Mimi and CC Cabana said...

What a heartbreaking video. I haven't experienced the death of a pet yet, so I can only imagine the pain. But we can't live in dread. There's pain because there's love, and we have to be willing to accept them both.

I love the photo of you and your sister when you were little. You were adorable, and Lucky, too.

jenn chang said...

waah.. i've seen this before, so i don't get why i decided to play this at work :**(.. makes me want to go home and hug my yoda right now.

truth: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqba2uBhQ71qg205no1_500.jpg

it did make me feel better to scroll up and see debbie on rollerblades though. that's just gold :)