Monday, January 23, 2012

My New-ish Chair

I have always dreamed of reupholstering an office chair after seeing several tutorials online. It seemed like such an easy and satisfying project. When I saw an old office chair selling at a garage sale for $5, I purchased it right away. I also bought some beautiful velvet fabric from a flea market in California for a great price.

I was stumped when it came to actually reupholstering the chair. I soon realized that I had bought the wrong kind of chair and would need to create some sort of slipcover for the back of it instead of the usual staple fix.


The project took hours instead of just a few minutes since I had to pin the fabric around the back of the chair and sew around it. I couldn't find many tutorials for this so I had to base it off of this tutorial on how to make a slipcover for a couch. I also had to figure out how to get the slipcover over such a strange oval shape and still make it fit nice and snug (strategic cutting and placement). 


In the end, my chair is a bit of a mess, but at least it's my $11 mess. The lighting in the pictures below distorts the color of the fabric a bit. It's actually closer to River Mist blue. Did I mention that I have an obsession with Martha Stewart blue?


No comments: