Monday, March 19, 2012

Let's Make: A Mini Ice Cream Cake!

The Hubby asked for a smaller cake for his birthday because he had a PT test scheduled for the end of the week and has little self control when it comes to sweets. I decided to create individual ice cream cakes for us to help with portion control. I had never made an ice cream cake before so I basically winged it, but it worked! 

The process itself is fairly easy although it was extremely time consuming. The procedure can be easily adapted for larger cakes as well. We're just waiting for the next big occasion so that we can celebrate with delicious ice cream cake once again.


Ingredients: box cake mix (Betty Crocker's my girl), frosting, ice cream
Special materials: parchment paper, springform pans

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3: 

I poured the batter about half way. It is important to pound the pan on your counter to release any air bubbles so that you can achieve a more even cake...or something like that. Just do it.


 Step 4:

I baked my cakes for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. I would check on it every now and then to see if it is cooked thoroughly by sticking a toothpick in the center and seeing if it comes out clean. Cool the cakes completely on a rack. Cut the cakes in half. You can decide if you want to trim the tops so that they're flat. Crooked cakes = more cake in my opinion, although you can always sneak the excess trimmings yourself.

Step 5:

Step 6:

I used about three generous scoops of ice cream for each cake. Use the same springform pans as molds. You should probably line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper as well. I didn't and it resulted in a very messy Step 7. Cover and freeze until hardened.

Step 7:

I snuck in an extra chocolate chip cookie as one of the layers to The Hubby's cake. You can always put frosting all around the cake, but I chose to just put some on top.

Step 8:

And what should you do with all that extra cake batter? May I suggest making cupcakes and sending them with your husband to work like you would your 2nd grader to school? Glorious Treats has the best and most straightforward tutorial I've seen on how to pipe frosting on cupcakes. (P.S. One tub of store bought frosting is just enough for one dozen perfectly frosted cupcakes)


No comments: