Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dear Baby: About Your Father

Dear Baby,

They say that little girls grow up and look for husbands that remind them of their fathers. I know that you'll probably be completely grossed out by this, but I hope that this is the case because then we would never have to worry about you.

Your dad is amazing and it is so easy being married to him. He is the man I compare all other men to when friends or family members come to me with their relationship problems. I tell them to "find someone who treats you the way my husband treats me." There's this fallacy that marriage is something you need to work on in order to last. Baby, if you have found the right person marriage will never feel like "work" to you.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to marriages and relationships. However, Dad and I have been together for ten and a half years and I can count on one hand the number of fights we've had.  We've been through more hardships together than the average couple during that span of time. Five of those years we spent living over 3,000 miles apart. We survived a deployment and countless weeks away from each other due to the Army. The house you are living in now is the fourth house Dad and I have lived in in just five years. The two of us slept on an air mattress in an empty bedroom for the first few months of our marriage until we slowly built enough in our bank account to buy real furniture. Together, we got through two heartbreaking miscarriages, which I will write about some other time.

Your dad got us through all of this with good spirits simply by being the remarkable man that he is.

Dad is extremely overprotective, which means he'll send you a text before you leave for work in the morning to tell you to be careful driving with foggy windows. He'll always make sure when walking on sidewalks that he walks on the side closest to the road so that he can hop into action if he has to. He'll grab your hand if you're walking through a crowd. If you stay in the car and he steps out to grab takeout he'll stick around and make sure he hears the doors lock before leaving your side.

You will find some of this to be overbearing and I'm sure you will roll your eyes at him at some point, but just know that he does these things because he cares about you so much.


With his protective side comes his sensitive side. He cried the most at our wedding, making all of our guests cry along with him. Marry someone who will pour tears uncontrollably when he sees you walk down the aisle. This is important. He cried when I told him I was pregnant and that he was going to be a father. He cried when we first met you in the hospital, and you can be sure that he will cry when he walks you to your future husband and gives you away.

Your father is so smart, but he doesn't rub it in your face like some others do. He's humble and extremely hardworking. You will never find him complaining about anything. In fact, I just discovered that he has been suffering from daily back pain for all of his adult life due to his time serving in the military. He's never mentioned it once. Marry someone who won't be a big baby when he's ill. This is also important.

Dad will like to surprise you with gifts, ranging from small to extravagant. He has purchased Kate Spade purses and Tiffany earrings for me "just because" and surprised me with gummy bears and flowers after my first day at work. Marry someone who is so excited to give you your gift that he never manages to wait until the day of your birthday or Christmas. Most of all, it's important to reciprocate back. You don't need to spend a lot of money. Just make sure you grab an extra York Peppermint Patty at the checkout line for him at the grocery store or splurge on the pricier chocolate milk. Leave love notes in his lunchbox and on his dashboard. These small things will matter to him.



My sister and I never grew up with any men around. We were responsible for taking out the trash, washing our own cars, fixing anything around the house, killing our own spiders, putting together any furniture, and lugging anything heavy on our own. It made me independent and it helped me survive a year without Dad around when he was deployed to Iraq. Although I want you to be independent as well, I also want you to find someone who will do all of those things for you without any hesitation.

Dad actually gets angry with me when I try to lift anything heavy, open my own doors, or take out the trash. He finds things like this to be his duty as a husband, and I am okay with that. Here's the important thing, though, Baby: At no point should you expect your husband to do these things or else you will grow less appreciative of it all.  I never forget to thank Dad for the things he does around the house, even if it's just changing out a light bulb. On the other spectrum of things, Dad still thanks me for making dinner, doing the laundry, and even for taking care of you all day long. Appreciate each other. This is important.

Your father tells me he loves me at least ten times a day. He'll literally wake me up in the middle of the night to tell me this. Marry someone who will do this, even if you don't necessarily want to be awakened at two in the morning. Also, marry someone who will tell you that you're beautiful daily, even if you haven't showered and have bright pink acne medication on your face. This is important.

But most of all, Baby, know this about your father: He loves us. Every single action he makes is with us in mind. We are so lucky to have him.

Luv,
Mom

No comments: