Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Dog Needs Braces

Hubby and I noticed that one of Bella's canines looked like it was rotting. We attributed it to improper dental care on our part so we bought Bella tons of treats that were supposed to rid of plaque and even bought some spray for her mouth. Finally, we gave in and had her looked at by the vet.


It turns out that not only does Bella have bad legs, allergies, corneal dystrophy, and a long list of other quirks, but her teeth are also misaligned. Her incisor was hitting on her canine and slowly wearing down the enamel. I actually find this to be somewhat comical since I work in the orthodontic industry. The vet felt that the best way to save that canine was to extract the incisor causing the damage.


Nearly $450 later, I was able to bring Bella home. For the next fourteen days I had to feed her soft foods only, which meant soaking her kibble in warm water for a good twenty minutes before feeding it to her. She was not a fan of this at all. I have also perfected dispensing medication to her. Bella is too smart to fall for the good ol' peanut butter trick so now I stuff her pills in moist dog food and feed her out of my hand. She can't resist!


Bella was extremely woozy from the anesthesia they gave her for her surgery. She insisted on following me upstairs when I changed out of my work clothes when we got home. After going downstairs on my own for a few minutes, I heard some crying. She was trapped at the top of the stairs and I had to carry her 70-lb furry butt downstairs. 

Oh, Bella. I love you so.

No comments: