Sunday, September 8, 2013

Why Did the Turkey Cross the Road?


Did you know that:
Source
It's true. I know this from first hand experience. Seriously. I was driving about 60mph through post to work with my coworker and a wild turkey decided to commit suicide by flying into my windshield. 

Still don't believe me? This is a picture of my car on the side of the road last Wednesday morning:


And this is all the glass that was shattered all over me. I pulled tiny bits of glass out of my hand. Thankfully, no one was hurt. Except the turkey. At least I think it was hurt. We couldn't find it anywhere on the side of the road.


I was so shocked after it happened that I didn't even pull over immediately. My coworker had to tell me to do so. I couldn't tell how bad the damage was until later. The windshield was caving in. I'm so fortunate that the glass didn't get into my eyes. 


I didn't even know what had hit us until my coworker told me. She said she had seen it eating its breakfast then take flight right into my car. I spent the entire day explaining what had happened to my boss, the insurance company, the towing company, the body shop, and anyone who would listen.

"Yes. A turkey. A turkey flew into my windshield."

To make matters worse, neither my husband nor my coworker's husband were home so we had to rely on strangers to help us on the side of the road. 

I still can't believe it really. It's okay to laugh. It's really quite hilarious, except that it cost us $300 to replace my windshield.

But it could have been so much worse. Google it and see. This happens far more often than you would think.


Something must be done about these crazy suicidal turkeys.

P.S. If you ever need to replace or repair a windshield (due to a wild turkey or otherwise), I highly recommend Safelite. Their technician was able to get it replaced without me even being present and their customer service was fantastic. They also gave me a 20% discount simply because I asked for it as I had read about it online.

2 comments:

Mimi and CC Cabana said...

Oh my gosh! That's crazy! Your car insurance doesn't cover the windshield? Or is $300 the deductible? I'm glad you weren't hurt and that your co-worker was with you.

Anonymous said...

I find it funny that I am here, looking at your pictures and comparing them to my minivan windshield from earlier today. Yup, we are 1 week from thanksgiving, I was en route to get my turkey when the turkey came to me! We couldn't find ours either. We, too, are not hurt. I had glass shards all over me as well, thank GOD for safety glass!!! I couldnt see out of my windshield, the entire drivers side was smashed in. Crazy!