Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ending My Apple Addiction

In an effort to eat more fruits and vegetables, I researched which foods were best for my health. I continued to come across something called "The Dirty Dozen". Turns out I've been poisoning myself little by little by eating an apple a day. 
The Dirty Dozen is a list of the twelve produce items that have the most pesticide residue. No matter how hard you scrub or wash these fruits and vegetables, traces of pesticides will remain. And since we don't have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's near us, I will have to be addicted to something other than Fuji apples. I was able to find a pack of four organic Fuji apples at our grocery store, but it was two times more expensive than non-organic apples.

I'm awfully glad that watermelons, mangoes, and pineapples are delicious at this time of the year, and my fridge is well stocked at the moment with all three right now. They are all on the Clean 15 list where going organic is not necessary.


This is how my husband thinks watermelon should be cut, by the way. This was taken last summer and I had forgotten to blog about it. The pieces are not bite size at all, but are five inches wide. I like to take petite bites, thank you very much.

I had the most amazing smoothie today: 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 ripe banana, a large handful of baby spinach, 1 cup almond milk. SO SO GOOD. Even better than yesterday's green peach smoothie and I couldn't get enough of it. A definite keeper for years to come.

And I'm not sure if I'm the only idiot who has done this, but if you want to freeze a banana, peel it first and then freeze it or else you will have a great deal of trouble peeling a frozen banana. I felt like a bloody fool.



*frame by Maybemej

3 comments:

caitlin said...

so i saw on whole foods about putting some greens in your smoothie... how does it actually taste? can you taste the green? (eek!) ive too am trying to eat healthy and actually just discovered whole foods but omg on my wallet! :(

Min said...

Caitlin,
With the peach smoothie, I could definitely taste the spinach. I think the taste of banana in the second smoothie is overpowering enough to hide the taste of the spinach though. You can always add less greens if you are worried! And Whole Foods is DEFINITELY overpriced.

KateM@newsy.com said...

Hi Min,

I saw your list of the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen and wanted to share this video on the latest rankings from the Environmental Working Group, which analyzes the levels of pesticides to tell us which produce items we should be more mindful of when shopping. For instance, apples are now #1 on the Dirty Dozen, so I’ll be looking for bags of organic apples to satisfy my cravings for that crunchy sweetness/tartness. Anyway, this video analyzes news coverage from different sources to show various perspectives on how the two sides are reacting to the report, with some saying we should be more careful when buying produce and others saying it doesn’t make a difference in our health and so the benefits of eating produce outweigh the risk of pesticides. Did you know, you can reduce your exposure to pesticides by about 90% just by swapping five items from the Dirty Dozen with ones from the Clean Fifteen. I’m a big fan of sweet potatoes, so this was great news to me.

I hope you’ll considering embedding the video in your post or even writing a new one. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the latest findings and the response from different groups.

http://www.newsy.com/videos/study-apples-are-most-contaminated-produce/

Best,
Kate