Monday, April 16, 2012

A Musical Weekend

Although we've lived near Austin for about two years now, we barely took advantage of "The Live Music Capital of the World"until this weekend. We bought $17 tickets to see Kina Grannis on Friday night at The Parish

The Hubby and I waited in line on 6th Street and watched underaged girls get hit on by drunk bikers, ladies in bikinis serving beer and hula hooping, and a man put down his cigarette on the floor, walk away, then come back and put the cigarette back in his mouth a few minutes later. All of this before 9pm. I can't imagine what kind of crazy things happen later in the evening.


We were so pleasantly surprised by the amount of space available at The Parish. The two of us were able to stand close to the stage and I was able to see right over the tiny Asian girls in front of me. Oh, how I've missed my people. It was so much more mellow than the Death Cab concert I went to last year.

I was a great fan of Kina before she gained popularity for her amazing jelly bean music video for "In Your Arms". I guess Jelly Belly decided to sponsor her tour, which meant free beans for everyone!


Imaginary Friend (aka Jesse) opened for Kina. He was so witty and extremely talented. My favorites include "I Knew This Would Be Love" and his cover of "Fly Me To The Moon."


And Kina came on, as sweet as you might imagine her to be. 


The next evening, we headed back to Austin to watch Mary Poppins at the Bass Concert Hall. We purchased our tickets at the last minute so we sat almost as far back as we possibly could. Even so, the show was splendid and I was just in awe the entire time. 


It was seriously part musical, part magic show. Just how did she pull that coat rack out of her purse?!


I got hungry at intermission so I snacked on my jelly beans from the night before. 


I'm so lucky my husband actually enjoys watching musicals and has an appreciation for them. So far, we have watched Les Miserable, The Lion King, Edward Scissorhands, The Color Purple, Beauty and the Beast, The Nutcracker, and Wicked. 

Two late nights out in a row resulted in a very lazy Sunday.

No comments: