Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Double Double, Please

*This is yet another diet post. What is it about people on a diet and their inability to talk about anything else? I have become one of them and I apologize.

During a wonderfully long Skype conversation today with The Hubby, he half-jokingly said that I should get some Chicken McNuggets from McDonald's for dinner. And then I realized that I haven't had any fast food since he left in February! You should have seen the obvious look of disbelief on my husband's face, and I don't blame him because he knows my love for McAnything. This, my friends, is an incredible accomplishment for me as there is a McDonald's literally two minutes and two turns from our home.

I woke up this morning, and while I was changing into my workout outfit like I typically do, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I was really pleased for the first time in awhile. So pleased, in fact, that I finally had the nerves to take some pictures of myself in a bikini (without sucking anything in at all) so that I can compare my progress through photographic evidence later on. I was definitely not prepared for this a month ago. And if I finally reach my goals, I might show them to you. "Might" is the key word here.

If you remember from my post a month ago, my ultimate goal was to drop down to 115 lbs, but I realized that this number is completely arbitrary. I have since adjusted this goal to something entirely different: I want to be toned and fit, but not "Geez, somebody feed that girl a hamburger" stick thin. I want to turn my flab into muscles. I don't want to look like someone can break me in half like a twig, but instead I want to be strong.

And I want to do all this by July because I plan on visiting the wonderful beaches in California then and I also have a sleeveless bridesmaid dress to wear. 

I've noticed that I judge people by what they put in their shopping carts while grocery shopping, and I feel SO mean when I do it, but I can't help it. Frozen pizzas, sugary cereals, Texas Toast, Oreo cookies, and soda...all I can think is, "You really don't need that" and then I feel bad for their children. I'm really judgmental, I know.

I watched Jamie Oliver's inspirational and really mind-blowing speech about how America needs to change their eating habits last night, and I believe that everyone should watch it. I hope that when I'm a parent I can stay away from the fast food and TV dinners route and feed my children home cooked meals and prepare their lunches everyday. 

Easier said than done, I know. Especially since I eat more microwaveable meals for dinner every week than I cook. Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice frozen meals are keeping me from starving (or from hitting Mickey D's every night).


And yet I'm totally craving a big, fat, juicy burger right now. I can't believe I've started to chew gum and drink water instead of baking cookies for dessert.

Also, I just discovered that In N Out is coming to Dallas, just three hours away. We were conflicted between going to Dallas or San Antonio for The Hubby's R&R later this year...so far, Dallas is in the lead because mama needs a double double.


1 comment:

Spencer said...

this is very encouraging :)