Thursday, May 24, 2012

Craft Room Reveal


This is the room I've been lucky enough to do all of my sewing projects in. I actually finished putting it all together quite some time ago, but it is rarely tidy and the lighting for the room is awful so I can never get any decent pictures. I was able to take a few decent shots yesterday and I am really excited to show you my workspace.


For the most part, I stuck with my plans and have created a pretty efficient and organized space for myself. I have several lidded boxes placed in my book case from Ikea and have labeled them with blue paint chips to add some color. I have two boxes for fabric alone. I love knowing where everything is.


The most functional part of the room is probably the wire drawers I have behind my desk. I keep my trusty sewing machine on top of it so it's hidden in the corner. I also love the clear drawer inserts so that I have a place for everything. (1. zippers, bias tape, 2. thread, 3. elastic, iron-on hemming, 4. cutting tools, 5. bobbins, 6. pins, measuring tape, 7. notebooks, 8. tumblers, 9. decorative tape, 10. post-its, lip gloss, lotion, 11. eraser, glue stick, clips)

Instead of using a traditional trash can, I use a large potholder and I tuck it in one of the bottom shelves (seen over the word "good").


My desktop is also pretty organized as well. I use cute mugs and small potholders to hold markers, scissors, rulers, and other writing utensils. Next to those is a small desktop drawer where I hold my stamps, inks, and adhesives. I send a lot of mail so it's nice to have these items handy.

The compartment right next to my seat holds scratch paper, sewing patterns, and catalogues with inspirational layouts such as West Elm and Urban Outfitters. I framed a picture of the peonies I bought for myself last year because I just adore them so much. If you see them for sale at your local grocery store please let me know!

I also have a coaster permanently in place for any water I have so that any condensation doesn't ruin my projects. I make sure to keep my cell phone there as well because I hate it when I lose my phone under a pile of fabric and scraps.


My craft room is also full of less functional things such as framed pictures and quotes.


My sister gave me these scrapbook overlays last year. I decided to place them over a couple of my favorite quotes and frame them as cheap yet meaningful art for the room. 


They sandwich a beautiful print I won as a prize from one of my favorite Etsy sellers, Little Things Studio. I wish I had a better picture of this as it looks really nice on the wall.


Next to my closet (don't ask to look in there) is another print from Little Things Studio. I made those curtains myself using fabric I purchased from the Crate and Barrel Outlet last year. Again, these pictures don't do them justice.


One of my last additions to the room is a magnetic whiteboard from Ikea. I love that nothing is permanent so I've attached my current favorite pictures, quotes, and random things I've picked up over the years.


I received this beautiful free postcard from Ann Shen. "Sea of Love"is one of my all-time favorite songs. I think my fabric covered clothespin magnets add a nice touch.


And that's it!

This is what my craft room looks like 99% of the time, by the way:


3 comments:

Victory Carmichael said...

Hi Min! That's a gorgeous looking craft room! It looks like one of those pictures that I would awe over on Pinterest (:

I also really like how you have 'taped' captions on your pictures. What do you use to do that?

Min said...

Thanks for the comment! I'll do a tutorial for you on this over the weekend. It's actually ridiculously easy!

Mimi and CC Cabana said...

Wow, I'm so jealous of your craft room! It's beautiful. But I have to say that I most appreciate the messy version of the room--it makes me feel less bad about how my craft room looks. I need to get over to Ikea soon--you can never have enough storage in a craft room.