Friday, June 8, 2012

Going Green: Flops and Winners

I don't know if this is interesting to anyone else, but I love it when bloggers write reviews on products. I'm the type who rarely purchases anything without doing research first because I hate wasting money on anything. In an effort to be a little more green and healthy, I've been slowly replacing all of our household products with more natural or environmentally friendly items. I thought I would share with you products that have worked for us and some that I won't be purchasing again. 


These napkins do the job and don't feel flimsy or cheap. They're actually cheaper than other napkin brands, which is rare for products that are better for the environment.

I hate these paper towels. Each sheet is so thin that it's hard to really soak up anything with them. I end up having to use more sheets every time. We use rags for deep cleaning, but we like to use paper towels for quick cleanups and eating.

I'm a little on the brink about this product. Each bag uses 25% less plastic, making the bag less sturdy. It's perfect for holding snacks for lunch, but not really as storage.

You really can't tell that the bag is made out of recycled plastic and the pricing is about the same. This buy is a no-brainer.


We recently switched from Cascade to this one that has fewer chemicals. Harmful chemicals on the plates you eat on? Yuck. I've noticed that our dishes don't seem to come out as clean, but the difference is not enough for me to want to switch back. 

For the pots and pans that can't go in my dishwasher, I use this dishwashing liquid. The smell is wonderful and everything gets squeaky clean. It's a little more expensive than the ones full of chemicals though.

I love the little pump that squirts out super concentrated detergent. The design of the bottle is terrific, but it is far too expensive to continue purchasing. My clothes also seemed a little dingy.

Ultra Purex Natural Elements-not pictured (buy!)
I did some research before buying this one. Purex is an incredibly affordable brand and I love the scent of the detergent. I recently ran out of my last bottle and am about to try Seventh Generation 4x Laundry Detergent. It was on clearance and I had a coupon so I snatched it right away. It has great reviews and I'm excited to test it.


Bella tends to pick up crumbs from the floor so I wanted to make sure we were cleaning our wood floors with something that wouldn't harm her. I absolutely love this product from Method. There's no need to mix it with water. You literally squirt some on the floor and mop away. Each bottle goes a pretty long way as well and it smells like almonds.

I've only used this on our kitchen countertops so I'm not sure how well it works on other surfaces. However, the scent itself is fantastic and makes me want to wipe the counters more often.

This spray is supposed to keep your shower/tub from getting dirty with daily spraying. However, the smell of it is so strong and suffocating that I often neglect to actually use it. Other reviewers like the scent though so you might try it for yourself.

I try not to use too many disinfectant products, but I like to use these wipes after dealing with raw meat in the kitchen. They also smell better than Lysol wipes.


The marketing for Simple products is great and definitely got me interested. I purchased their exfoliating wipes for when I travel and I find them to be too abrasive on my skin.

I've never had mascara rub off under my eyes so much. I don't appreciate raccoon eyes and my eyes also started to burn after using this product. They did make my eyelashes very full upon application though.



Are there any products you're loving lately? I love trying new things so please share your favorites!



P.S. I'm not sponsored by any of these companies, by the way. Ha! Wouldn't that be amazing if I were?




2 comments:

Bless said...

I'm from Canada so I'm not familar with some of these products. But I have to say, my sister-in-law would definitely appreciate this post! She's a tree hugger! I always remind her that 1 person can't change the world. Harhar.

Elly said...

for cleaning, i like to use lemon, vinegar and/or baking soda! :)