Sunday, April 24, 2011

Shattered Baking Dreams

I have been saving recipes for various bars, cookies, brownies, and muffins that I want to either ship to The Hubby in Iraq or make for dessert when he is back home. These are the ones that I want to test out the most:



Yesterday, my husband told me that he has been on something called a Paleo diet for the past four weeks. He described it as only being able to eat foods that cavemen had access to, things that could be hunted or gathered. This means no processed foods, grains, dairy, salt, or refined sugars. More specifically, it means no bread, cereals, pasta, pizza, ice cream, cookies, brownies, cake, In N Out, Freebirds, Round Rock Donuts, Rudy's BBQ...all the things that I LOVE. 

Also, rice isn't a part of the diet. The dude knows that I'm Chinese, right? This girl grew up on a bowl of rice every single day. And we all know that Asian people have longer lifespans so we have to be doing something right. Right?

But I'm going to try to be as supportive about this as possible. The Hubby says that this new diet feels great and that he has lost weight. Grocery shopping and cooking meals for us is going to much tougher when he comes home because I don't plan on giving up bread EVER. I think we'll be able to find some middle ground, although eating out may be really difficult. At least he said that he will be willing to have cheat days and that he still wants some beef brisket when he comes home. 

He asked if I could send him Caveman Cookies. There is a company that sells a bag of 12 cookies for $9.95, which I think is a sort of ridiculous price. I've found some recipes online and I will attempt to make them myself. Instead of regular sugar, butter, and flour, the ingredients include ground almonds, unsweetened shredded coconut, carrots, and dried fruits. In all honesty, I think they look like something that came out of a horse's arse.



A lot of other recipes require things like coconut oil, blanched almond flour, almond butter, and fake chocolate chips. I'm hoping that our local grocery store carries these items as the nearest Whole Foods is more than an hour away.

If you ever invite me to a potluck, sign me up for desserts because I need to satisfy my baking urges.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Yo! I'll send you a recipe for some bomb caveman muffins.