Saturday, April 16, 2011

Zombieland

I'm back from my hiatus! I know of only one person who has been affected by this break, and he is actually the only reason why I'm up writing instead of in bed right now. C.C., this one is for you.

It's almost hard to get back into the game because my mind is still completely discombobulated and my body is tired. Let me preface this by saying that everything is fine and nothing is wrong. I think when I tell people that things have been crazy around here they begin to worry. Things are crazy in the busy sense. Nothing emotional involved for once! Well, except stress. I am so incredibly happy that this week is over.

I haven't had much sleep lately because my brain won't allow me. Things are a-changin' around here, and when I am trying to fall asleep and dream of my dreamy husband, I instead run through in my head every little thing I need to take care of. I even took a Tylenol PM a few nights ago and I still couldn't fall asleep. My body would jerk itself completely awake despite my pure exhaustion. This frustrated me to no end and I was on the verge of tears when I could not get my much needed rest. I ended up getting out of bed in a complete zombie-like state and eating two rice cakes to minimize my sudden feeling of starvation. 

One morning, I opened up our pantry door and thought that it was the refrigerator. And then a few minutes later I went to place some clean tupperware in the refrigerator, thinking that it was the cabinet. 

On Tuesday morning, I went to the post office to ship a package off to The Hubby. When you send anything overseas, you have to fill out a form and list the contents of the package along with each item's value. I had only filled out the total value as $20 when I brought it to the counter and was asked by the employee to fill out each value. No matter how far back I dug into my brain, I could not figure out how I could easily divide four into twenty. I started putting in numbers and when I got down to the fourth slot, I just was not able to figure out the last number. 

Then I had an "Aha!" moment. Eleven was the correct number! Somehow, I was convinced that 4+4+5+11 equaled a perfect $20. Seriously. I was completely embarrassed and told the guy that I was on four hours of sleep and walked away blushing. I went up to AP Calculus in high school and took two college math courses, and this was the result.


I had purchased a puny monthly planner book for a buck on clearance at Target, thinking I just needed something to keep track of birthdays and any of The Hubby's important dates. Check out my sad little schedule for March. I had to write in when to mail birthday cards so that I would have something to write.


And BANG! Oh, what a change a few weeks makes! I think I need a fancier calendar book. I wish I could say that this change was due to something remarkably exciting, like a sudden life altering desire to save the world. But, alas, my life is not that interesting. 


With The Hubby's promotion to an Executive Officer position at another company, I have experienced some changes myself. I "took" a leadership role for our Family Readiness Group. I use the word "took" lightly because it was more pushed onto me through guilt, but I am prepared to go at it with a positive attitude. I will write more about my new FRG responsibilities later on my other blog when I get the chance, but basically I have been put in charge of the well-being of the 130 or so families that soldiers left back home. It is a huge and important task, and I have a lot of work ahead of me.

 Zombieland Rules
But this whole FRG business was the least of my worries for the week. My sister kindly hired me to write over 7,000 words on sunglasses as part of something she had to do for the internet marketing company she works for. She gave me two weeks to finish this assignment, but of course I waited until the last few days and ended up having to chain myself to a desk for four days, chugging away about polycarbonate lenses and UVA/UVB rays. "Just think of the money!", I reminded myself.

I assumed that I had more time to work on this, but with the sudden FRG job, I was left juggling numerous things at once. I approached this entire thing as a project for school, and it brought me back to the time a year and a half ago when I was going to college full time, slaving away over twenty hours a week as a waitress, and planning our wedding extravaganza all at once.

Also, I haven't shared this with you, but I have a side weekly writing job for a UK savings blog. I get to pretend that I have a flat in London and invite my mates over every afternoon for a cup of tea. The pay is minimal, but it's something. My favorite part of it is that having a weekly deadline makes time go by faster because it always sneaks up on me.

Lastly, I am an idiot and decided to plan for a gathering of wives come over for some apple pie today. I don't know why I like to create trouble for myself, although I think it is crucial for me to have guests over every few weeks or else I would never clean the house.

I had grown accustomed to my easygoing days where I never had to look at a calendar in order to keep track of my plans for the week. I've become one of those, "Let me check my schedule" people, and I can't decide whether or not I like it.


I have a lot of blog entries lined up, but the quality of the pictures won't be the best since I was so rushed this week. I hope to get back into a good rhythm soon. I've taken a major setback in my diet as I think I have been confusing exhaustion with weakness from hunger. I haven't exercised in a week, either.

Signing off with my eighth cookie in my mouth,
Married Minzilla

3 comments:

Spencer said...

wow youve had a long week. no wonder i didnt see you online...unless i just missed you as usual lol

Rebecca said...

glad things are looking good :) business is good sometimes!

hope to talk to you soon!!

Rebecca said...

busyness? business?