Saturday, May 21, 2011

On When Spontaneity Backfires

Source: weheartit.com via Min on Pinterest

By the end of April, my hair had become unmanageable. It was wildly long, my split ends had split ends, and I  would step on it whenever I bent down to dig out one of Bella's toys from under the couch. Temperatures were quickly rising, and it had been more than a year since my last haircut. It was time.

I really should have got a haircut back in California from my usual stylist when I was home in December, but my time was valuable and our budget was tight. I had every intention of going to a high rated salon nearby. However, one day I was at Target and I noticed a Great Clips in the same shopping center and I decided that I needed my hair chopped of right then and there. 

I had been trying to be more spontaneous. The recent airing of the movie "Yes Man" on TBS rubbed off on me.

Worst.Decision.Ever.

I sat down and told my stylist that I wanted my hair to be a few inches below my shoulders and that I wanted layers and to keep my bangs. Another woman asked if my hair was long enough to donate to Locks of Love, but my stylist said that it wasn't if I wanted the length that I had requested. I told her to do whatever necessary in order to donate. And that is how I ended up chopping off more than fourteen inches of hair. It was a very emotional, "what-the-f*ck-am-I-doing?" moment.

Since I left the house thinking that I was just going on a dark chocolate almond milk run, I didn't think of bringing my camera and resorted to using the camera on my phone. I didn't even have a chance to take a "before" shot because she gave me no warning. I just heard snipping and my head felt lighter all of a sudden.

I walked out of the building feeling liberated and rather proud of myself for doing something so unplanned. 

But then I looked at myself in the mirror at home and wanted to cry. She did not thin out the ends at all and it looked really choppy and too straight across at the bottom. You know how you have the opportunity to tell the person whether or not you like your hair before you leave? They ask you to look in the mirror and tell them what you think? Well, I had already asked her once to add more layers and I didn't want to ask again. Also, when you only pay $13 for a haircut, they don't blow dry it so it's hard to tell what the final result looks like when your hair is completely damp.

I was so unhappy with my haircut that I wanted to hop back in the car, drive back, and ask for a refund. But I'm too much of a wuss to do that so I just dealt with it. At one point, I grabbed a pair of scissors and started cutting away randomly at the ends. Do you know how you can tell if you have a bad haircut? When you can cut in a completely spastic manner and see absolutely no difference at all. That is how bad it looked.

For the past month, I have been tying my hair up in a tight ponytail and have been taking Vitamin D pills because I read somewhere that it helps hair growth. I even tied my hair up when I was at home by myself because I didn't want to see it in the mirror! I'm a total drama queen, I know.

I thought that doing loose waves would help the cut, but I was so very wrong. I looked like freakin' Shirley Temple. Or actually Shirley Temple with a bad perm.

This past Wednesday was the first time I even went in public with my hair down. My friends noticed and called my new hairstyle"cute." But, honestly, I am 22 years old. I am not looking for "cute" at this point in my life. I would like to feel sexy, darn it!


So I'm finally revealing my new haircut to you after a month of keeping it hidden. Even The Hubby has only seen it down once over Skype. The ends should really be thinned out, but I really don't want to pay more money to fix a haircut. I supposed my cheap side still reigns supreme over my narcissistic side. 

On the plus side, I use far less shampoo, the time I take blow drying my hair has been cut in half, and I am much cooler (temperature wise only). And some kid will get a pretty awesome wig!


*Tape strips from Pugly Pixel
Flowers from Maybemej

1 comment:

Spencer said...

1. wow you could step on it?? how far did it reach when you were standing up?

2. the whole yes man spontaneity sounds fun!

3. its awesome that you cut it shorter than you wanted to in order to help others

4. i think it looks good but what do i know hahaha