Although I was not able to run the full 5k, I did run the majority of it. I am very proud of myself for trying something new and pushing past my limits. I know that a 5K really doesn't seem like much, but it was truly a challenge for me.
While approaching the finish line, strangers were cheering for us on the sidelines, shouting encouraging phrases like "Finish strong!" and "You got it ladies!" I felt a sudden jolt of energy and sprinted to the end and it felt amazing. The running community is so supportive of one another and the fact that it was a military population made it doubly so.
|We did it!|
As for how well I did? Let's just say that I wasn't near last, but I also got beat by plenty of moms with strollers and an old man with a crazy intense power walk.
Thoughts that went through my head during my run (Warning: profanity ahead):
- Fuck, it's freezing!
- I'm glad I decided to wear a padded bra underneath my sports bra.
- Would I be more aerodynamic if I had shaved my legs?
- I should have shaved my legs in case I need to be rescued by paramedics.
- Don't judge my hairy legs. My husband has been gone.
- My fingers are red from the cold.
- I feel awesome right now. I can do this.
- Channel Wonder Woman, Min.
- I need to throw up.
- I need to pee.
- I can't go any further. I'm going to pass out right here.
- I really should have shaved.
- I hate you, V. I hate you so much for making me run again. I hate your guts.
- Shit. Shit. Shit
- Your husband would be so embarrassed by you right now if he saw you give up.
- This damn incline!!!
- I'm really going to throw up that free banana I ate half an hour ago.
- I bet my bangs look terrible right now.
- I can't feel my toes.
- I need water. I need water right now.
- Where is that stupid finish line?
- Another damn incline?!
- I'm about to faint.
- I see the end to this.
- I'm sprinting to the end!
- Holy crap! Did my shorts fall down? I can't feel them!
- Oh, it's only because my legs are numb from the cold.
- YES! I'M DONE!
- I need water. Get me water now.